Wednesday, October 5, 2016

The Cheap Haversack Kit

By Caleb Steck

This kit is designed to be carried in a belt pouch and a haversack. Consequently, it must be quite light. Everything must be absolutely necessary. You are not going to be carrying things like a draw shave, or even a tarp. 

That said, let’s start with cutting tools. First is a quality belt knife. (Click HERE to see an article on that issue) The 4 basics of a good belt knife are: full tang, good grind and temper, and a comfortable handle. My bush knife is homemade, which cost me about $7, some charcoal, and about 2 hours of work, but I already had the forge. (Click HERE to see how make a very basic knife) If you were to buy a bushcraft knife new, it would cost about anywhere from $10 to upwards of $150. But, if you went to a few flea markets, you could find an Old Hickory butcher knife for around $3. 

Next is a belt hatchet. My favorite is the Gerber pack hatchet, but that is rather expensive. The other option is to search flea markets. Look for an old carpenter’s hatchet that’s suits you, and re-furbish it. This is my preference, for if you can find an old hatchet, it was usually made really well. I also carry a “hobo tool” that was my grandpa’s which has a large 4” blade, a smaller blade, spoon, fork, 2 awls, wood saw, scissors, file, cork screw, can opener and a bottle opener. Almost all of these tools I would carry anyway, so having them all in one folding tool is a big bonus. 

Moving on to containers, I have a wooden kuska that is great as a traditional water cup, and I even made the gouge I used to carve it. Next I use a tin can cookset I made, consisting of the following: 1) 18 oz soup can with the sharp inside rim crimped down, 1) 14 oz soup can that nests inside of the other can upside down creating a container, a soda can with the top cut off and the edge crimped down (which nests inside of the smaller can), and my sugar, salt and ‘Ol bay seasoning inside it all. 
Note: if you are planning to stay for longer periods of time, or there is more than one person camping, add a larger pail that can carry gear, but will be used to make soups in. 
Next I have a water bottle, as large as possible, a few plastic bags and a supply of tin foil. For food, I use a bag of rice, a bag of oatmeal, cooking oil, jerky, and a fishing kit.  
During squirrel season I also take along a good gun and a gun care kit, which is paper towels, hex wrench set, plastic bags, a length of bankline with loops on each end for a gambrel string, and a pocket knife (which everybody should already have). 

My main fire source is cotton balls and Carmex, which burns even better than petroleum. Carmex has petroleum, bee’s wax AND certain kinds of oil, all of which are fuel sources. Besides that, I have a lighter and ferro rod in my pocket, and my fire kit. It contains char cloth, a piece of flint, waterproofed strike-anywhere matches, and extra Carmex.
 Another thing I have is a leather belt pouch that I made, which contains my fishing kit, electrical tape, compass, and is a place for my fire kit. 

That concludes the contents if the scrounged belt kit, and I put mine all together almost free. Just scrounging and blacksmithing alone will knock a lot off the cost of this kit. So, while you can go buy $200 worth of brand new gear at Academy, if you keep your eyes open and learn a little blacksmithing, well you can have a $20 worth of gear and you even know how it was built!!



13 comments:

  1. Great article Caleb (found your site via The Backwoodsman).. Adding Carmex to my kit ASAP! Great knives too - thanks for putting the work out there for everyone.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have a spam problem on this blog; I also am a blogger, and
    I was wondering your situation; many of us have created some nice methods and we are looking to swap strategies with others, be
    sure to shoot me an email if interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's very simple to find out any matter on net as compared to textbooks, as
    I found this post at this web page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am truly pleased to glance at this blog posts
    which includes plenty of helpful information, thanks for providing such information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's remarkable to go to see this website and reading the views
    of all mates about this post, while I am also keen of getting
    familiarity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, just wanted to tell you, I loved this blog post.

    It was funny. Keep on posting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its like you learn my thoughts! You appear to know a
    lot about this, such as you wrote the e book in it or something.
    I feel that you simply can do with some percent to power the message home a bit, but instead
    of that, this is excellent blog. A great read.
    I'll certainly be back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there to every single one, it's truly a fastidious for me to go to see this website, it includes helpful Information.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure exactly why but this website is loading extremely slow for me.
    Is anyone else having this issue or is it a issue
    on my end? I'll check back later and see if the problem still exists.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marvelous, what a web site it is! This web site presents helpful data
    to us, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's impressive that you are getting ideas from this post as well as from our dialogue made at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there every one, here every one is sharing these experience, therefore
    it's pleasant to read this blog, and I used to visit this web site everyday.

    ReplyDelete