Wednesday, October 5, 2016

The Ultamate Bush Knife

The Ultimate Bush knife
 









Ok, right out of the gate I am going to tell you this; there is no one-size-fits-all ultimate bush knife, it doesn’t exist.  But I can describe one the most useful knives for bushcrafting in the south. First you must have a full tang. A Mora type knife would be great for carving, but not batoning and chopping. You want enough stability to know that that handle is not going any where. Second, you need a good grind and shape. I like a little lower grinds, where they maybe come halfway op the blade. My preferred handle material is micarta; it is pretty much indestructible, and is also water resistant. As long as it is good carbon steel, most any steel will work. 1095 is mostly what I work with; it provides good hardness and you can strike sparks off the blade in an emergency. And the last of these specs is size. I prefer larger handles, like 4 ½ inches. The blade length should be in between 4 and 6 inches. Now I am going to build the knife we just described, and then show you how well it works.

Ok, two days later here is what I have:


So, the above is a great example, and I would, without a second’s hesitation, trust my life to this knife. But, going back to my previous point, there is no perfect knife. In my opinion an old hickory butcher knife from Amazon or a flea market is a fantastic bush tool, although it is not as sturdy as a thicker knife. Any knife that fits in the categories listed at the top of this article is a good bush knife.
Well, I hope this little tidbit helped you,
and keep on bushcrafting,
-Caleb


6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. thank you, it was made from a file, with micarta handles. great knife.

      Delete
    2. You remind me of me when I was much younger. Sadly I got old. So stay a kid as long as you can.
      That's one COOL knife (the one I saw in BWM). Can you make me one just like it? Be good if you could.
      Answer back here and we'll get together with the details.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Great looking bush knife. And amazing initiative, in learning and sharing these skills and knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, I love learning information and sharing it.

    ReplyDelete