Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Journal of the Backwoodsman 1


This is a series in which I will record, as in a journal, my bushcraft practices. I hope it will be as fun for you to read as it is for me to write. Please enjoy!


my campsite

June 7th: (They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so I hope to use as many pictures as possible so that you understand better) Today I worked on a semi-permanent shelter, a lean-to. I only got the bed and main pole done. Tomorrow I will work on the structure more. The ridge pole and the two long bed poles are cedar, the bed is called a sack bed; it works by wedging the bag/sticks taut.

  Also, I cut firewood, gathered some fat-wood, which is the sap-rich wood right where a branch  meets the tree on a evergreen tree ( you want it as close to vertical as possible), and put some bannock mix put together. Bannock is 1 cup of flour, 1 tsp of baking powder, 1 TBSP dry milk, a pinch of salt, and berries, which are optional. Just add water till it's a good doughy texture, then pat it into cakes and fry it in bacon grease. If you have it, you  can top them with maple syrup. This mix always comes with me. To conclude this post, I will give you a bullet point list of the items I use in my projects. Here it is:

1. TOOLS:

·       CUTTING
1.    knife
2.    saw
practising the upside down fire
3.    hatchet
5.    sharpening rod
·       COMBUSTION
2.    lighter
3.    flint and steel
4.    sun glass
5.    candle
·       COVER
1.    tarp
2.    reflective blanket
·       COTTON
1.    bandanna
2.    spare cotton socks for charring
·       CONTAINERS
1.    8oz metal cup
2.    18oz metal cup
3.    stew pot
4.    frying pan
5.    backpack/paint can
·       CORDAGE
1.    paracord
2.    jute twine
3.    nylon string
4.    bankline
·       EXTRAS
2.    nails
3.    gloves
4.    gun

·       FOOD
1.    fishing kit
2.    frog gig
3.    snares
4.    rat trap
5.    jerky
6.    trail mix
7.    bannock mix
8.    PLENTY OF WATER!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment