Sunday, June 26, 2016

Journal of the Backwoodsman 4

June
I recently acquired some carving tools from my grandpa; a bowl gouge, a hand chisel, and a carving knife. After I got them, I started whittling on a spoon. A spoon is one of the easiest beginner carving items. I shaped it with the knife, then carved out the dip with the gouge. Then I made a spatula, using the carving knife and a draw knife. That is just how easy carving is, and now I have 2 useful tools, and the experience to make more.
I also went to a few stores with my grandpa. First was a flea market here in town, and I am friends with the owner. It is just a small shop with just about everything, from fishing lures to knives. I go there quite often and get almost everything I can't get at Ace. This time I got a WWII mess kit, 4 bags of bass lures, and a plastic-handled diamond sharpening rod for 8 dollars. Then I went to the store next to it and got a 5 dollar topwater and 2 spinners for $2. Then we went to Wal-Mart and I got a emergency space blanket for 2 dollars. I do think I scored big!
I hope you learned how much you can get for just a little at those flea markets and junk stores. Have fun ,

Caleb

No comments:

Post a Comment