Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Journal Of the Backwoodsman 2-----fishing and fire


Today about noon I went fishing with my younger brother. I used live minnows for bait, hooked above the spine about 6" under water. I got 2, 2 IB bass, although I hooked and caught another until he got off. My brother didn't have any luck. Then I made a small fire, (in the forge for safety reasons) using flint and steel. I tried chert first, but the sparks weren't hot enough. My tinder bundle was really dry, fine cedar bark and dead grass. That is the way to go. On the fire I made some sassafras tea. I make my tea by putting about 8" worth of pinky-sized root into a pot of water, and boiling it until it's very dark, about 10 minutes. Then I add a generous amount of sugar for taste. While the fire was going, I started burning out a wooden spoon, but It didn't turn out. That is all I have for you today.
Have fun!

Caleb

No comments:

Post a Comment